Divesting ourselves of i386 bigotry...

First, I'd like to report that, as of today, the Alpha is 243 packages away
from being in sync with i386/main.  This makes me confident that we can have
a hamm release for Alpha, even if it takes another month or two to finish up
and might not encompass the whole of contrib and non-free.

*Unfortunately*, it should be closer than that---in the last couple of
months, I've fixed bugs in several packages that were not building properly
because of i386-centric oversights, when the maintainers incorporate them
into the packages, they have often been putting them slink only.

Given that these changes are necessary for the packages to build properly
for hamm on another architecture, I think this is wrong.

I would like to ask what I should do about this:

1) File a release-critical bug on ftp.debian.org that could be closed if the
corrected package was copied from hamm to slink?

2) File a release-critical bug on the package that could be closed if the
corrected package was copied from hamm to slink?

3) Do NMUs to slink that resolve the problems?

3) Something else?

I get really frustrated by this.  I would rather not have to resort to
guerilla warfare, but I find that gets the best results---doing an NMU to
hamm to fix a bug often gets the maintainer's attention in a way a simple
bug report doesn't.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Mike.