Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> wrote:
> There are a number of aspects of the existing init script that are not
> policy-compliant.  Within this mail is a modified version that is.  (Yes, I
> have tested it.)

A question/comment, though:

> TIMEHOST1=ntp2.usno.navy.mil
> TIMEHOST2=tick.usno.navy.mil
> TIMEHOST3=tock.usno.navy.mil

Shouldn't this information be pulled out of /etc/ntp.conf?

>   ntpdate -b -s -t 1 $TIMEHOST1 $TIMEHOST2 $TIMEHOST3 > /dev/null 2>&1

Any reason not to use
	ntpdate -b -s `awk '/^[	 ]*server/{print $2}'` &
? (that's a tab and a space between the square brackets).

[Note that I've tossed the timeout, but to prevent any potential
boot-hang problems have backgrounded the sction.  According to
/usr/doc/xntp/html/ntpdate.html on my system, -t 1 is the default,
so it seems somewhat broken to explicitly set it.  Note that this
is probably influenced by the default of getting four samples.]

Also, it may be worth bailing out of the script entirely if there
are no servers mentioned in /etc/ntp.conf

--
Raul