guavac bug #22325

Hi Brian,

Bug #22325, marked important, says that my package guavac has an
unsatisfied suggestion on java-virtual-machine. I need your
advice on what to do about it.

My thoughts are:

1. It's a suggestion only, so nothing will break if it doesn't exist.
   Unfortunately dselect is a bit picky about even suggestions.
   At the time I last built it, kaffe existed [albeit it in contrib]
   which satisfied the suggestion. (Interestingly there's my reported
   bug #16652 IIRC which says that javalex should move to contrib
   since it depends: java-virtual-machine -- but even that move won't
   solve its deps now). Perhaps there's the standard bug in dselect,
   `dselect is not user friendly', here.

2. It's a bug in some other package that java-virtual-machine doesn't exist.
   It's a registered virtual package name, AFAIK, so at one stage
   it must have been provided. jdk1.1-runtime should probably provide it
   but doesn't [bug?].

3. I could built it again without the suggestion. However the suggestion is
   valid, and more to the point, with the C++ compiler changeover
   it doesn't build out of the box. This is bad in its own right, but
   I think not `important'. I will have to spend some time tweaking it,
   and then hope that it still works as a result. I would prefer to avoid
   this.

thanks,
Hamish