Re: Username length inconsistencies.

In article <[🔎] 87n2byfepz.fsf@nevermore.csres.utexas.edu>,
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>What's the limit on username lengths?  I poked around but couldn't
>find any indication.  I know that some programs make assumptions
>(yuck), but I didn't know what that usual assumption was.

With GNU libc one of the main obstacles that limited Linux to 8 character
usernames, utmp.ut_user, is gone (it's now 32 characters).

Since then we've been limiting the username length on our system to
10 characters max (only because the *&^%^ DOS accounting system is
limited to a 10-character username) and we have not run into trouble yet.

So 10 is definitely safe, but I don't know what would happen with -say -
25 character usernames. Oh, and for fun, try a username with a "." in
it. It will break a lot of things unsuspectedly ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.