Re: perlfaq license

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 11:20:26AM +0300, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 07:10:45PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> >
> > How about the GPL is that covered by the GPL? If so can people make their
> > own modifications? Obviously this can not be allowed. That means all copies
> > of the GPL must be moved to non-free.

> I think that this discussion is quickly moving to non-sense.
> Although I'm not a lawyer, I think that contracts, licenses as well
> as laws and any "sentence which claims legal effect", once
> published, are covered by different terms than those in the
> "copyright protection".

Yes, the bit about the GPL was a bit silly, but there are some real
issues here.  I don't particularly see things like Debian Policy being
a "contract" or see it claiming to have any "legal effects", however,
we need to think about how, and in what ways, that document can be
changed.  Do we want people changing it willy nilly for anything
whatsoever and still calling it the Debian Policy?  Do we want to
allow people to use pieces of it they like?  Do we want to allow it to
be translated?  Maybe someone needs to come up with a DGPL, for
Documentation GPL.  Maybe something requiring that the name be
changed?  I'm not sure about the specifics, but I thought I'd toss the
idea out for discussion.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org