Re: Removal of Packages from Hamm (!)

In article <[🔎] 19980523175553.35872@heorot>,
David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:
> Well, this thoroughly bogus argument does seem to apply to
> trademarks.  Obviously they are two seperate issues, but I dont claim
> to know much about legal particulars.

They are night and day.  Please see
<http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html> which I think has even
been posted to news.announce.newusers for the last few years...
In a nutshell, being the author gives you copyright privileges,
regardless of whether you defend them, assert them, or even are aware
of them.

Copyright and trademark are not even administrered by the same legal
entities -- in the US for example copyright is handled by the Library
of Congress, and trademark by the Patent and Trademark Office.
Copyright law lives in the shadow of the Berne Convention and
trademark law is country-by-country (or even more local in most
cases).  They have very little in comon.
--
Shields, CrossLink.