Re: Proposal and call for participation, Linux Standard Base Project

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 08:40:44PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> I'd be in favour of (re-)defining a Debian 'core', doing it _really_ well,
> and offering it to the rest of the world.

Problem is, if it's the "Debian core" then other people don't wanna base
anything off it.  If it's a more or less dist independant thing, more would
use it.  It would probably wisely NOT include a package system but the
result could be a priority Required (or equiv) package.

It wouldn't replace section base, certainly.  I'd love dpkg to be the
de-facto standard package system, but it's just not gonna happen since many
don't like ANY package system.  This is why people tollerate broken dists
like slackware.