Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 12:03:18PM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Martin> At K90 the last "normal" script is run, so we really only
>     Martin> have K91 up to K99.  If we move K89 (atd) to K79 and K90
>     Martin> (sysklogd) to K80, we'll have another 10 sequence numbers.
>
> I agree utterly with this.  My basic question was: why can't the
> script sequences be renumbered?  The fact that apache decided to be
> K91 some time ago does not make forcing ourselves into a technically
> sub-optiomal solution right.  I would suggest moving atd to K69 or
> K70.  That way we don't souddenly run short again.

The main problem is that you can't do that by a normal upgrade.

If you call update-rc.d in the postinst script and there exist
runlevels, the configuration is NOT touched.  And since we have
two different rc/rcS methods (sysvinit+dpkg/file-rc) you even
can't rename the link.

What you could do in the affected postinst is, ask the user to remove
the old setup and install the new one from scratch.

> Does Debian need a shut-down scripts order in the polocy document? :))

I won't consider this bad.  Please go ahead.

Regards,

	Joey

 /              Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop /
/ http://home.pages.de/~joey/           or in front of a mirror /