Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 11:20:32PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 19980518221139.F13509@tapiola.infodrom.north.de>,
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 09:36:12PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> >> No, as I said there's not enough space in K90-K99. But the other option
> >> is not too bad - we could indeed extend the runlevels to allow numbers
> >> from 100-999 as well, which would run after 0-99. It would not be strictly
> >> alphabetically anymore though. Or maybe allow hex numbers? KA0 - KAF or
> >> so.. that would keep the alphabetical order in tact.
> >
> >Sorry, I object.  Could you explain that more detailed?  Why 9
> >levels aren't enough to catch the scripts?
>
> Well, we already have K91apache, so only K92 - K99 are available. It's
> almost impossible to fix this on existing running systems you know. We
> also have to assume a user has not used K92 - K99 him/herself (which
> we can't) or otherwise the system will break.

K91apache is a mistake in the bo version, it should be K10apache.  Recent
versions of apache use S91 and K10.  So please ignore it.

So the highes levels are:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Mar 14 11:50 /etc/rc0.d/K89atd -> ../init.d/atd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Mar 14 04:46 /etc/rc0.d/K90sysklogd -> ../init.d/sysklogd

These could be easily changed to K79 for atd and K80 for sysklogd
to have another 10 free numbers.  The sysklogd maintainer is around
and I we have permission from the at maintainer to do NMU's if needed,
iirc.

> We already use 5 K levels, and people may want to add more. We only have
> 8 K levels free if we asume they are not used by the local sysadm.
>
> What if we choose to use
>
> K92sendsigs
> K93urandom
> K94umountfs
> K95mdutils.sh
> K99halt

> When I want to insert a "foobar" script between sendsigs and urandom, that's
> no problem. I can use K93foobar. But at that moment K93 has been used twice,
> something you want to avoid. Because now package "argh" comes along and you
> want to put it between K93foobar and K93urandom .. impossible unless you
> change the name.

We could move them a little bit more into the 8x region.

> That's why I said it's better to use sparse allocation of the Kxx links.
> Because however unlikely this scheme sounds, Murphy's law guarantees a
> situation like this will surface.

Sure.

Regards,

	Joey

 / A mathematician is a machine                                  /
/                           for converting coffee into theorems /