Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

> What about m68k (and presumably other archs) that don´t have a
> joystik support? Should configure test for it and undef it? Can one
> undef it? Actually there´s a joystik driver for Atari, but its not
> used.

Joysticks in the kernel are a somewhat problematic field...

Yes, there is an Atari joystick driver, but in a different world :-)
Joysticks on PC are usually analog devices, i.e. they report a
position as a range of values. Atari (and Amiga) joysticks work
digitally, i.e. they just report if a direction is active or not. This
induces some differences in the device protocol, i.e. what data you
can read out of /dev/js*.

I've talked 1..2 years ago about this with the author of the PC
joystick driver about this and we agreed that we should develop a
common protocol, but then this thread died because we both had more
important things to do :-)

The problem for XFree is just that the joystick driver includes
<linux/joystick.h>, which doesn't exist in the Linux/68k source tree.
The joystick package provides this file, but I don't know if it's
appropriate for m68k. Anyway, the driver in XFree won't work anyway on
a non-i386 arch, either because the kernel doesn't have a joystick
driver at all, or because the protocol is different.

Brandon, is it possible to make joystick support in XFree available on
i386 only? (Or remove it alltogether? :-)

Roman