New Linux distribution

Bruce, I just read your letter to the debian devel list and your name
sounded familiar.  You were mentioned in a Linux Ham-HowTo as starting a
linux
distribution for amateur radio.  The mentioned web page however does not
exist (dns entry not found anyway).  I assume that your current letter is a
resumption of this desire.  I have had my own thoughts along these ideas.
There are several Amateur radio programs currently available for
dos/windows that
*NEED* to be ported to linux.  These include contest loggers, satalite
trackers, packet radio, RTTY,  and SSTV programs.  There is very good SSTV
program for windows 95, using the sound blaster that I would like to see
ported to Linux / X.  It is currently  shareware.   A call to ham software
developers!!!!!
      I have installed debian 1.3.1 (several times!) at home and have found
that it is NOT easy to install.  Many of the utilities are older than
versions supplied with Slackware or Redhat.  Examples:  Man uses More
instead of Less as a pager (this can be fixed but debian's man does not
support the 'rc file format that slackware uses).  LS does not support
color (can be added but again debian does not support the same 'rc or
enviromental settings found elseware).  Getting networking up was a real
head scratcher as a network configuration program (such as supplied with
slackware and redhat) does not exist and you must edit startup scripts by
hand.  Yes a true sysadmin should know this stuff, but I had to find the
answeres in a book on Slackware and translate to debians script format!  I
like debians goals and style but it needs polish.  A good book on dpkg and
dselect (along the read-ability lines of maximum RPM ) would help.
     If you set up another list for this effort please post it's url here
or e-mail me.  Thanks.