Re: fltk and XForms compliance

Mark Baker wrote:
    On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 11:56:02AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

    > > That will be a problem with lyx as the upstream side is
    > > thinking about a switch anyway, but qt is the leading candidate
    > > there.
    >
    > Someone should tell them about GTK, now that version 1.0 has been
    > released. A little bit of info about the distribution problems
    > they will face if the choose Qt

    Unfortunately they've already chosen Qt. And done all the work to
    port it.

    Have a look at
    http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/users/ettrich/klyx.html

    It's a shame he chose to use a non-free toolkit, as klyx looks very
    nice.

It's not correct that the LyX project ahs choosen Qt. The Qt port (KLyX) was done overnight by two KDE project members, Matthias Ettrich and Kalle Dallheimer. Matthias happens to be the original LyX author and KDE project founder.

The release of KLyX was not completely welcomed by the LyX project. They plan to separate the GUI layer from the engine so that different toolkits can be plugged in, but from what I understood, Matthias just took out the XForms routines and replaced it by Qt code instead of helping to make the thing more independent by the toolkit.

LyX definitely doesn't bet on Qt.

	Gregor