Re: Upgrading from bo to hamm

On 13-Apr-98, 09:05 (CDT), Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net> wrote:
> [re: bad symlinks for ldconfig]
>
> The messages are a symptom of not having the library and -dev package
> versions in sync.  The solution is to either bring them into sync, or
> uninstall the -dev package.  Either way will fix your problem.

That turns out not to be the case. I just removed all -dev and -altdev
packages (except libc6-dev) from my system, which is a current "frozen".

Here's the error output from ldconfig:

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtk.so.1.0 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R5/lib/libXt.so.3 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R5/lib/libXaw.so.3 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R5/lib/libX11.so.3 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc5-compat/libslang.so.0 (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc5-compat/libslang.so.0 (No such file or directory), skipping

(incidentally, it was the same before I removed the packages.)

libgtk seems to have moved it's libraries from /usr/X11R6/lib to
/usr/lib, so that ones probably a package bug. The other ones probably
are, too. But I think we need an example postrm for shared library
packages so that all of them get this correct (or whatever it is that
needs to happen so the above messages go away; I freely admit I have no
idea what creates the nest of symlinks that ldconfig uses).

The problem is that lists like that above spew out during a typical
dpkg/dselect/apt install run, and are very alarming to novices, and
distracting to experts.

The above list would be much longer, except that occasionally I go
through and clean them out.

Steve