Re: FILESYSTEM CORRUPTION

kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

> jgoerzen@complete.org (John Goerzen)  wrote on 10.04.98 in <[🔎] 87d8eqqli9.fsf@garfield.complete.org>:
>
> > Therefore, I believe it would be prudent, as a temporary workaround
> > for the kernel bug, to umount all local drives before umounting
> > network drives.  It is generally not a big deal if a network drive
> > doesn't get umounted anyway.
>
> The reason local file systems can't be unmounted when NFS unmount hangs,
> is that the NFS fs is still mounted, keeping the local fs busy.
>
> What makes you think it is possible to unmount the local fs before even
> trying to unmount the NFS fs?

Because I didn't think of the above :-)

> *However*, a little experimenting shows that the kernel is perfectly
> willing to let you "mount /some/where -o remount,ro" even if there are
> files open on that fs. I'm not quite certain if those open files are
> guaranteed to be handled correctly, but this, possibly combined with sync,
> should be enough to get a clean shutdown.
>
> This looks like a wishlist bug for sysvinit (which has /etc/init.d/umountfs).

I actually originally reported it against sysvinit but he reassigned
it to mount.  I have set its priority to critical because it can (and
HAS!) cause extensive data loss; definately not a wishlist issue!

I will let the mount maintainer decide whether or not to reassign it.

--
John Goerzen             | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming       | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for