Re: Upgrading from bo to hamm

On 09-Apr-98, 22:04 (CDT), Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
> "LeRoy D. Cressy" <ldc@netaxs.com> writes:
>
> > I question the purpose of leaving broken symbolic links when
> > upgrading the libraries.  For instance libreadline2 leaves
> > the following broken links reported by ldconfig:
>
> Those symlinks are part of libreadline2-dev.  If you upgrade to
> libreadline2-altdev, then the links will be fixed.

There's the general problem that library symlinks aren't removed when
the library is removed, thus leading to a buildup of "file not found"
messages from ldconfig until I get tired of them and clean them out.
Removing a library should remove all the symlinks as well.

I'm not sure whether this is in fact the way it supposed to work, and
it's just that I continually run into buggy packages, or whether this is
something that needs to be added to policy (I guess I should go read the
policy manual to see what it says...).

Steve