Re: Immutable flag and packages

> As a trivial example, it would be reasonable to have /etc/fstab
> marked immutable, while /etc/mtab would be mutable.  Another example
> would be an immutable /etc/passwd and mutable /etc/shadow, to allow
> users to change their passwords but not their gecos field.
>
> >    1. "installation" should set the immutable flag for any
> >       binary files and possiibly some configuration files.
> >       Likewise, removing or updating a package will need to
> >       clear that flag.
> >
> > I don't see this as a good idea, myself.  If the superuser wants to
> > modify/remove a file, why should we stand in his way?

To remove or clear the flag you need not just to be superuser, but to be
running at securelevel 0, which normally requires a reboot to single user mode.

I suspect securelevels and immutable files are too much hassle for a normal
system, though they do have a place in things like firewall systems where
many of the files should not be modifiable, even by the superuser.

	John Lines