Re: New release of PostgreSQL needs testing

John Goerzen wrote:
  >"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
  >
  >> Release 6.3-2 of PostgreSQL has been uploaded tonight (through chiark).
  >> This release closes all current bugs.
  >>
  >> Problems: the libpq++.{a,so*) library is temporarily removed, since it
  >> fails to compile with the new g++ package.  I have so far had no response
  >> to my message asking for help about that.
  >>
  >> lintian reports an rpath problem with lib:
  >> W: libpgperl: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004
      >/auto
  >> /Pg/Pg.so /usr/lib:/lib
  >>
  >> This appears to be put in by the MakeMaker generated Makefile; I don't kno
  >> how to stop MakeMaker putting this in.
  >
  >Lintian reported a similar problem with my libcurses-perl package; I
  >suspect it is harmless and the author of it needs to be made aware of
  >the issue.
  >
  >On a side note, do you (or anybody?) maintain the DBI driver for
  >Postgres (DBD::Pg)?  If not, you might want to consider maintaining
  >it; if you don't want to, I probably will.  If you are already
  >maintaining it, it probably needs to be re-released for 6.3.

I have a feeling I saw an announcement by someone who was going to
package it.  However, a quick search in dselect doesn't find anything.

I have never used it or tried to (what does DBI stand for?) so if you
want to package it, go ahead.

  >I will probably get some new installations by Tuesday.  I'll be sure
  >to report bugs if I run into any problems.

There's a new patch due out this weekend.  I'll wait for that before putting
up 6.3-3.

  >Thanks for your work on this!
  >
  >BTW, are you a member of the Postgres team?  I seem to remember that
  >you maybe are.  If so, I have been experiencing the occasional core
  >dump from postmaster on BSDi and some odd behavior.  I can provide you
  >with some details on this if you'd like.  If I have you confused with
  >somebody else, please ignore this paragraph :-)

No, I have never had time to delve into the code to the extent that would
be necessary.  I have only been involved with debugging date behaviour
around libc6.