Re: Splitting the distribution for CDs

Jason Gunthorpe:
> Christian Schwarz:
> > Note, that by current policy (section 2.2) `no package may depend on
> > a package with lower priority value.'  Thus, if we put only packages
> > out of main with priority required to standard on the first CD-ROM,
> > and everything else on the second, everything should be fine.
>
> Actually, No. The trouble is that Deity's ordering routines are very
> complex and do alot to make an upgrade go smoothly. It is
> impossible to order the packages on the CD's so that one group can be
> unpacked before the other in all cases and keep the safe ordering.
>
> The issue that one of the ordering critiera follows reverse
> dependancies which in a simple case means it may unpack something
> like Chimera before unpacking xlib but will configure in the other
> order. Read the Deity archive for some insight into why..

Please explain what you mean by reverse dependencies.

The package installation process (as implemented by dpkg) has been
carefully designed so that, barring pre-dependecies (which should be
very rare and only have a very small number of packages as targets)
packages may be unpacked in _any_ order.

Therefore it shouldn't even matter in principle whether there are
dependencies from the first CD to the second.  It would be good for
there not to be, so that packages can be configured early and so that
just the one CD makes a sensible subset.

I can think of one situation where this would not be the case: a
number of packages say
  Conflicts: foo (<= version)

However, this is a violation of policy (or ought to be), and can in
any case be solved by _deinstalling_ foo temporarily, until the new
version is presented.

> I'm not sure what to do..

It is absolutely essential that we have the ability to install from
multiple CDs which have been created in a simple manner (by applying
glob patterns to filenames, for example).  Otherwise we won't be able
to install from CD at all !

Ian.