Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

bruce@va.debian.org writes:

> one Debian system for every 100 Red Hat systems

I don't think that Debian and Red Hat are real competitors. IMHO they
address different markets at the moment. Debian is used by people who
are *working* with GNU/Linux. Red Hat is buyed by people who want to
*install* a GNU/Linux system. So they need a good looking and easy to
install system.

Debian is providing a system where the needed knowledge to maintain
the system correspond to the experience needed for the work done with
the system. This results from the open development model of
Debian. The Debian maintainers move the distribution mostly towards
their personal needs. Red Hat is/must be more user centric than Debian
has to be. Nevertheless the installation process become easier from
release to release and would be very easy when standard applications
like a presentation program will be available (I hope so!).

> It's for this reason that I've just resigned as president of SPI. I want
> no part of this rat pack any longer. I'm going to become a Red Hat user.

I hope that you remain a Debian user and the president of SPI. IMHO
Debian provides an excellent basis for promoting the ideas of free
software. SPI should/can try to help Debian through providing
additional service, i.e. promising very fast bug fixes and help to
achieve the release goals. SPI can also establish an infrastructure to
program easy maintenance tools etc. This all *can* be independent of
the Debian development.

If there is a real need for a more user centric version of Debian,
then it's time to make a commercial version of Debian that can focus
on these things. But IMHO there's no need for because Red Hat, Caldera
and Suse provides good commercial alternatives.

IMHO a big step towards a unique Linux distribution would be the use
of a new standard package system that can use all distributions. Then
there is a real change of making Debian the base for all distributions
and the other distributions provide an additional service for the
user.

Bye
  Christian

--