Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

I find the notion that anyone in the Linux community who are
playing an active part in contributing would consider themselves
"workers" very disturbing.

I may not have played a very active role in the Debian project
yet, but I have committed a significant portion of my life on
my own humble contributions since the inception of Linux.
Not at any time have I felt that I have been "working", the
effort I expend is its own reward, in learning, growing, developing
my own skills. The results of my effort are a bonus.

I'm driven by the notion that I can expend a small amount of effort,
and in doing so in concert with others, can produce a better product
than whatever else is out there. I contribute to Linux because the
contributions of others have inspired me to do so. If I can inspire
others similarly then I feel justly rewarded.

There will come a time when I will disengage from the project in
which I am currently engaged and move to something new, some other
Linux project. This is healthy. Someone will replace my former
role, I may replace someone else. In doing so I and my successors
will produce change, small though it may be, that will assist Linux
in evolving and growing.

I interpreted Bruces comment simply to mean that Debian is a project,
it has aims, its aims are clearly stated, if you aren't in here to
meet those aims you are here for the wrong reason.

Anything that jeapordises the ability of the project to meet its stated
aims is either a dangerous element that should be excised, or an agent
for change that could produce any sort of result; good or bad.

As with any volunteer effort, it is ok to leave if you feel strongly
that the aims of the project to which you are contributing are no longer
aligned with your own interests and desires. You should leave happy in
the knowledge that you contributed, and that your contribution was
important and valued.

Debian is a great project, at least in my opinion. I heatedly debate
its merits with the great wash of people out there who have been
hypotised by the alternatives. One of my strongest arguments is that
I, as an individual can work within, and contribute to, the Debian
project. This, I believe, is part of what makes Debian a unique
distribution.

What is all the fuss about?

Do you want this to work or don't you?

Terry