Re: Why is root write permission necessary for installed files?

Hi,
>>"Kevin" == Kevin Dalley <kevind@rahul.net> writes:

Kevin> When I run lintian on gwm, it complains about
Kevin> non-standard-file-perm of 0444 on various files in /usr/lib
Kevin> directories.  0644 is the preferred permission.  Why is root
Kevin> write permission necessary on files?

Policy:
3.3.8. Permissions and owners

     Files should be owned by `root.root', and made writable only by the
     owner and universally readable (and executable, if appropriate).

Kevin> If necessary, I will change the permission on all the files,
Kevin> but I would rather leave it as the Makefile installs it.  Since
Kevin> anything installed on /usr should be capable of running on a
Kevin> read only partition, it should be safe to have such files be
Kevin> unwritable by root.

	I think you should change the permissions to fit the policy
 document, or raise a discussion on debian-policy to have the policy
 changed.

	manoj

--
 Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put
 up. G.K. Chesterton