Errors from "build"

I am still working on building my first Debian package.  I had hoped
that I could build Debian packages for several statistics programs but
after having spent a number of days trying to package the first one, I
fear either I am missing something basic or the amount of work will be
far too much for me.  Generally I have found working with Debian to be
a pleasure and I appreciate all the work that the volunteers have done
to make it so useful.  I would like to add my little bit but I find
that trying to create packages has turned into a nightmare for me.

I installed the debmake package and the sources for the hello package.
I read /usr/doc/debmake/HOWTO.first_time and Mark Blunier's web page
that he mentioned on this list recently.  I think I have followed the
instructions in those two sources fairly closely.

I got through extracting the sources and running deb-make. I did some
editing of the files in the debian subdirectory and ran debian/rules.
I got the whole package to compile.  That took a bit of tweaking but
wasn't too bad.  As root I then ran
 build
and got an error message for every object file or executable.  The
errors looked like
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to xsdynload.o: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to xssystem.o: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to unixprim.o: binary file contents changed

Should I have cleaned the object files and executables, say by running
"make clean" first?  I didn't see that anywhere in the documentation.

I would have thought dpkg-source was diff'ing against the original
source tree which (obviously) does not contain the executables or the
object files.  Why is the message that the contents have changed if
there is no file to diff it against?

As root I can run
 debian/rules binary-arch
and get a binary package for this architecture (i386 running bo).  I
have another machine running hamm on which I can do another compile.
Should I ignore the errors generated in "build", transport the
.orig.tar.gz, .dsc, and .diff.gz files to that machine, and generate
another binary.

If it is expected that build will produce all these error messages
every time it is used, that should probably be mentioned in the
documentation.

Sorry about the whining.  I'm a little frustrated.  If I have to go
back and start from scratch again this will be the fifth time.
--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598