Re: Hamm: Exim + Chos standard?

On 14 Jun 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:
>

> > It might be good if we would replace smail in hamm with exim. Exim should
> > be the standard mailer for hamm:
>
> Exim doesn't provide UUCP capabilities *at all*, thus it is rather
> useless for sites that use UUCP (like me).  Right now, I am using
> sendmail.  (What, BTW, is the reason for not using sendmail?)

Well, for one thing exim (and smail) are a hell of a lot easier to
configure than sendmail.  That was what originally moved me towards exim
at work - I really didn't want to muck about fixing numerous broken
sendmail setups when in far less time I could just switch all the machines
over to exim with a more capable configuration that actually worked
properly.  :-)  This of course has nothing to do with Linux per se; these
were all SGI boxes, but it's why I initially got interested in exim.  I
then made the debian package since I wanted the same MTA on all the
systems I administer.  I am pleased to see that exim is gaining some
popularity.  I shall expend some effort over the next few days in
correcting some of the outstanding bugs in the package;  I have been
rather busy of late fighting with Silicon Graphics over broken hardware...

Tim.