Re: should I be creating /dev/sr[01] devices?

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> Per the following bug report, is the existance of the /dev/scd[01] devices
> sufficient, or should I create the old-style /dev/sr[01] devices and link
> them to the scd devices?

According to Documentation/devices.txt:

 11 block       SCSI CD-ROM devices
                  0 = /dev/sr0          First SCSI CD-ROM
                  1 = /dev/sr1          Second SCSI CD-ROM

                The prefix /dev/scd instead of /dev/sr has been used
                as well, and might make more sense.

While I agree that /dev/scd* makes more sense /dev/sr* seems to be the
standard form, so we have two options:
- convince the author of Documentation/devices.txt that /dev/sr* is
  obsolete (this might be difficult)
- provide /dev/sr*

This would have to be changed in makedev, right?

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/