Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

"Alex" == Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:
> Why not as the same command-line arguments?

I like Phil's schema better, since it eliminates the evil coupling
between the ordering of the cmd-line arguments with the values we're
trying to pass.  So we'd have to change every ip-(up|down) script if
the ordering ever changed.   However, giving them names does introduce
a new convention, namely the variable names themselves.   Less of the
two evils I think.

> And there is one thing
> which I would qualify as a mistake in the above description: $2 is
> actually in the form "/dev/ttyS1" than just "ttyS1".

Doh!  I wish they wouldn't do that.  I guess it's for some kinda
security?