Re: [PGP]: can someone in NYC sign me?

On Wed, Dec 10 1997 17:44 GMT Charles Briscoe-Smith writes:
> In article <[🔎] E0xfZVc-00006o-00@alex.y.dyndns.com>,
> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> wrote:
> >Just one question to the "public": is it OK to take a floppy with his
> >public key, sign it without his phisical presence and than e-mail
> >him the signed file back (encripted with his key)?
>
> Make sure you see some physical identification (driver's licence,
> passport or similar).  If you know who the person in front of you is,
> and he gives you a key, you can check it's his by looking at the ID
> on the key and checking the ID's signature.
Yes. That's right.

> Once you've signed it, there's no reason to encrypt the result.

Well, if you're sending him the encrypted key [with the Public key
of the person], only the receiver can decrypt it.  This is a small
trick to insure that the person got the `right key' :)

> You could upload it to a keyserver yourself, in fact.
Hmm, I wouldn't. It's possible that said person collects more keys and
wants to upload them simultaneously.

> (I -think- I've understood the issues correctly.  Tell me if I'm
> wrong, people!)
AFAICT you're right.

Just my 20 centimes,
  David