Call for volunteers to host bug mirrors

Synopsis: I'd like several people to come forward, willing to run
mirrors of the bug system run like the one on chiark, rather than the
ones on www.debian.org et al.  It has better technology for updating
the indices and things.

The volunteers will need to commit to:
 * Hosting a publicly-announced WWW mirror of the bug system
   (a relatively small number of hits).
 * Currently 100Mb of disk space.  You'll have to allow more.
 * Willingness to install a couple of special mail aliases,
   and a run couple of special scripts and programs.
 * Ability to handle large (tens of Mb) incoming mail about once
   a week, and smaller messages (1Kb up to tens of Kb) once
   every half hour.
 * Intending not to drop out immediately.

Sue Campbell:
> Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Several people have said that they've had problems mirroring the bug
> > system because it's such a lot of small files, which is true.
>
> It was reported that the problem was due to directories with large
> numbers of files in them, not simply the existence of large numbers
> of files to be mirrored.

Ah.  As it happens, the WWW mirror now no longer has more than 100
files in most directories.  Unfortunately there's still one directory
with all the packages' indices, and that has 2000 files in it.  The
directory with package maintainers' indices has about 500 files.

The solution with the email updates is preferable, though, because it
allows incremental updates to the indices.  Instead of having to fetch
the 1.4Mb full index file each time there is any change it sends an ed
script.

Ian.