Re: Let's be friends. (Non-maintainer uploads made easier)

Hi,
>>"Joost" == Joost Kooij <kooij@mpn.cp.philips.com> writes:

>> We already _can_ make non-maintainer uploads just fine.

>> should improve communication between packages.
>>
>> They don't need a Friends: listing for that, they can already do it
>> today.

Joost> Yes, I agree that they can. The proposal should facilitate
Joost> it. There is nothing wrong with that is there?

	This is what I don't understand. How exactly is it
 "facilitating" it when I can already make a non-maintainer upload to
 *any* package if it is required?

	Also, now you are selecting a efw people who can be "freinds",
 and excluding all others from making an non-maintainer upload. I just
 don't see this as helping.

>> libc5 system to develop on.
>>
>> They don't need a Friends: listing for that, they can already do it
>> today.

Joost> Yes, but how often does it happen?  Wouldn't it be better if it
Joost> would be done with a better chance of a more active cooperation
Joost> from the maintainer?

	Same problem. Why do you think a list of people kept somewhere
 makes active co-operation more likely?

       I'm beginning to think that
  a) the idea does not go far enough: we do seem to need
     co-maintainers, dpkg has them, I wanted one on the ill fated
     xearth file project,  and I was going to co-maintain  a HTML
     validation service (buying houses plays havoc with
     plans). Co-maintainance can help shift the burden around, but
     then the people involved are *partners*, and an arrangement has
     been reached by mutual consent before hand.
  b) By making *all* packages have friends by default, this idea goes
     too far; the default now is that anybody can make non-maintainer
     uploads after discussion, and I like that
  c) An apprenticeship program is also interesting, but I think a
     friends list is the wrong approach. A tutoring mind set is better
     than this, in which maintainers that are willing can hang out
     their shingle to answer questions, look at control and rules
     files, offer tips, and double check initial packages

	I have a feeling that there are better solutions to everything
 that this approach appears to address; but nobody seems to have
 thought it important enough so far to think about a solution, until
 this topic came up.

	We apparently have concerns that need to be addressed. I would
 prefer a solution to be crafted to the problem, not, as it appears in
 this case, grab one that seems to have appeared serendipitously (and,
 at least in my opinion, is not a great fit for any problem
 addressed).

	It appears, though, that I am the only one with this opinion,
 and if such is the case, I'll shut up and withdraw from the
 discussion. I've other things to worry about at the moment, including
 where are we going to put the furniture while the floor is being
 refinished.

	manoj
--
 "The country couldn't run without Prohibition.  That is the
 industrial fact." Henry Ford, 1929