Re: Let's be friends. (Non-maintainer uploads made easier)

On 24 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I'd prefer to think we were all friends here in the project,
>  without needing to formalize the process. What am I if I am not on a
>  friends list, an enemy?

You are perverting my words ( I hope "perverting" doesn't insult you ;-) )

It is not about creating formalities to bureaucraticize and politcize
Debian, it is about creating structures to support a constructive
cooperation.

"Friend" was not my word of choice though I do appreciate the word's
friendly connotations. I personally would have named it "maintainer
groups", but then again the "friend" metaphore implies more clarity about
the fact that it still has one unique maintainer ( a sort of mini-Project
Dictator^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HLeader ;-) )

> Joost> People can be "friend" for multiple packages, which should
> Joost> improve communication between packages.
>
> Joost> Packages can have a "friend" who _does_ still have a libc5
> Joost> system to develop on.

> Joost> "friends" of <package>.
>
> Joost> Beginning maintainers can partake in "friendships" to learn the
> Joost> tricks of the trade.
>
> Joost> A Debian-general core team can be declared "friend" of all
> Joost> packages, just in case.
>
> Joost> Policy can be implemented for important packages to have at
> Joost> least x friends.
>
> Joost> People involved in porting can become a "friend" of the package
> Joost> they are porting.

Joost