Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

On 4 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> Dale> On 4 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> If you can address these issues, I will consider changing the
> >> licence.
> >>
> Dale> As you do not hold the copyright to the material contained in
> Dale> this "database", you may not create such a license.
>
> 	Oh, man, I hate being confrontational. I think we'll throw
>  away the data we got from people who chose the GPL option, and ask
>  people to ratify a new licence.

My appologies for sounding confrontational. However, my point was, and
still is, that by giving you this information, no developer has given up
their copyright to it, even under the GPL. This inevitably means that,
whatever license you create for this data, only those contributors who
agree to the distribution license may be included in the database. The
copyright holder is the only person who has the right to remove, or edit
the entry that they provided, unless the license says otherwise. (In which
case the contributor list probably gets smaller)

> 	However, you should also realize that you can push a volunteer
>  only so far -- and I refuse to be bullied into a licence scheme I do
>  not agree with. You don't like it, you get bruce to replace me.

If I have been a bully, you have my sincere appologies. It seems to me
that the only license that will "work" is one that the largest number of
people can agree upon. In that reguard you and I each get 1/200th of the
decission making power, no matter how vocal we may be ;-) You, on the
other hand seem to have gotten all of the work involved, and I, for one,
applaud your efforts. (I know it doesn't always sound that way)

Luck,

Dwarf