Re: Simple solution to pre-installation configuration

I like this a lot. This design leaves room for the minor tweaks and
modifications that will be necessary to impliment it successfully.
One small point that I would make: The directory would be more modular if
it were /var/lib/dpkg/configure as it is actually part of the dpkg
database.

Go Christoph!

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I have made adpkg-0.5 available which contains a working prototype of
> pre-installation configuration of the adpkg package itself.
>
> Here is how it works:
>
> Concept for Package Configuration
> ---------------------------------
>
> 1. The .deb package contains a configure script that can be run before
> installation of the package itself. The script will ask the users for how
> the package needs to be configured and will place the results into
> /var/lib/config/packagename. Fields have the form
>
> VARIABLE=VALUE
>
> and the file is simply readable by a bash script through
>
> . /var/lib/config/packagename
>

> 2. On installation the package's postinst (or preinst) will check for the
> presence of /var/lib/config/packagename. If the file is not present then
> simply assume some sane default values. If the file is present then retrieve
> the user customization values from this file and configure the package
> accordingly.
>
> Guidelines:
> -----------
>
> 1. The package will never refer to /var/lib/config/packagename for
>    configuration information except at installation time. The user might
>    run a reconfiguration at any time without activating that new
>    configuration.  The information in /var/lib/config is only to be
>    consulted during installation.
>
> 2. During package installation the postinst/preinst/postrm/prerm scripts
>    should not prompt for any values but have the configure script do the
>    job.
>
> 3. The configure script will only write information to
>    /var/lib/config/packagename and not change any other configuration files
>    on the system.
>
> Christoph Lameter, January 25, 1996

> Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.
>

> --

Dwarf