Re: Request official mandate for -D_REENTRANT

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> But what if the library _itself_ has been written in a non-thread-safe
> manner? I recognise that -D_REENTRANT modifies the libc behavior, by
> selecting the thread-safe functions; but if some library is compiled
> with that define, and isn't written to be thread safe (eg, globals are
> modified)...

This doesn't matter.  It's still possible for a threaded application
to make use of a non-threaded library.  It just has to be more
careful.  For example, the application can do it's own locking to make
sure the library is only accessed from one thread at a time, or
possibly only from one thread at all.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road