new developer questions

 Hello, my name is Ioannis and I will try to release my first
 simple package ascii_1.2-1, see short demo at the end, with the
 intention to become familiar with the ways and culture of this
 place. I followed the devel-list for a week and I read that nowdays
 developing  packages is *trivial*. Not really, it is not! There is
 tons of docs, policies, and manpages to read ; often, I read the wrong
 ones.

 Here are my questions, I need some help:

 (1)  Do I have to submit both the binary and source package, all at
 once, for the same debian release?

 (2) Where can I read about the new package format.

 (3) The way I understand it, dpkg -b is to build .deb, and
 deb-make is create source packages. Correct ?

 (4) I have deb-make version 2.40, do I need to upgrade (to what?)

 (5)  When someone says the "the package was uploaded to master",
 do they mean master.debian.org ? I could never find anything there,
 in fact, not even the Incoming directory. Where is it?

 (6)  What is my deadline to upload for debian 1.3 ?

 Before I exit, here is a sample out output form ascii(1). It is
 user frendly utility for programmers:

~ 4 % ascii a
ASCII 6/1 is decimal 097, hex 61, octal 141, bits 01100001: prints as `a'
Official name: Miniscule a
Other names: Small a, Lowercase a

~ 5 % ascii 61
ASCII 6/1 is decimal 097, hex 61, octal 141, bits 01100001: prints as `a'
Official name: Miniscule a
Other names: Small a, Lowercase a

ASCII 3/13 is decimal 061, hex 3d, octal 075, bits 00111101: prints as `='
Official name: Equals
Other names: Quadrathorp, Gets, Becomes, Half-Mesh

ASCII 3/1 is decimal 049, hex 31, octal 061, bits 00110001: prints as `1'
Official name: Numeral One

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com
PGP 768/429EE365, West Palm Beach, Florida