Newsgroups: ucam.comp.linux
From: peterb@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Peter Benie)
Subject: Re: Logging on when / mounted ro
Date: 20 Jan 1997 12:36:45 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5bvacj$hfh@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Chris Reed <cr212@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>My machine (Debian Linux 2.0.27 Kernel) just decided to remount its root
>filing system read only after finding "FAT error" on my root partitiion.
>This is a slight problem, as when I tried to log in as root to fix the
>problem, it wouldn't let me, presumably as it was trying to write to some
>file when it started.  As a result, though I could have, in theory, been
>able to go in and run e2fsck, I had to reset the machine (couldn't even do
>/sbin/shutdown - Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't work properly either, just giving "No
>more processes at this Run level"

Interesting. The fact that it just said 'No more processes' probably
means that it couldn't execute /etc/init.d/rc, but the only thing
that that depends on is bash. Perhaps this is why you can't log in?
Did you get to the normal login prompt? Did all the normal system
initialisation scripts run?

I suggest that you try starting linux with various options including
single/emergency, rw, and sushell=/bin/ash. If those don't work,
you'll have to boot from floppy. 'man sulogin' makes good reading btw.

Incidentally, you might like to try putting the following entry in
/etc/inittab:

l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

Usually you never get to the second line, but if things go wrong, you
get a chance to fix it whatever went wrong. If you get 'No more
processes' at a different runlevel, you just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Peter