Re: Debian development using the master account?

On 15 Jan 1997 19:44:55 CST Guy Maor (maor@ece.utexas.edu) wrote:

> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
>
> > Couldn't we just do this in the tarfile, just before compression ?
>
> It's certainly feasible to write a program which could change the
> owners and groups of files in the dpkg.  But why?  Hopefully you
> testing your packages by at least installing them, which requires you
> to be root anyway.  If you can install them, you can just build them.

Agreed. But that would allow rebuilding of working packages without any root access...
Let's try to avoid root usage as much as possible...
A typical problem is for example your rule file is wrong and building the binary just starts overwriting stuff in /usr instead of debian/tmp...
Root access shouldn't be used when building a package...

Phil.