Re: Questions regarding the base system

clameter@waterf.org (Christoph Lameter)  wrote on 10.10.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.961010071056.30814B-100000@waterf.org>:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> dwarf>On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> dwarf>
> dwarf>> Why would the base system create a user? I am running the base
> system dwarf>> and a few other things on some unit here that should not
> allow anything dwarf>> going on except superuser logins.
> dwarf>>
> dwarf>As I remember, the user is created to provide a "person" to send mail
> to dwarf>regarding any installation problems.

[By the way, Christoph, your quoting style is *really* ugly.]

> It is better to send that mail to root. That is the classical approach
> expected.

Well, as *I* remember it, the idea is that:

a. You should usually not be root while using your system
b. Because of this, mail to root should be forwarded to whatever account
you do use

Both seem quite valid.

> dwarf>These questions pecking around at the base system are somewhat
> confusing. dwarf>It would help those of us who are trying to speak to these
> issues if we dwarf>knew what your goals are in this discussion. What overall
> issue are we dwarf>discussing here?
> It seems that I am about to rework the boot process and I just want to see
> what issues are involved here and what I could change and what I should
> not change.

The "make one user" is one of the things I really like.

MfG Kai