Re: Proposal for a new debian.control field

> My assumption was that you'd install _one_ 1.3 kernel package. Once you
> did that, the pre-depends would succeed, even if you'd overwritten the
> kernel with a development one.

So how should packages that depend on kernels greater than the latest
1.3 kernel packages be tagged?

I'm unlikely to upgrade from image-1.3.64-0.  I like to compile my own
kernels (the default kernel doesn't support my soundcard, and I don't
need all the modules).  Will kernel-source-1.4.0-0 provide a new kernel
image package so packages the depend on image >1.3.64 will work?

Since I prefer to compile my own kernel from the sources, I would
prefer to not have the image package installed at all.  As it stands,
only diald in the unstable Packages file depends on image (and that >
1.2.13), but image is required.  I can't remove it, and once I've been
bitten by dpkg/dselect deciding to install it over my compiled kernel
(based on the latest source package).

I know that an image has to be installed at some point, but could the
image package be made -not- required?  I don't want to have to
reinstall the image package to let dpkg know I have a newer kernel.  I
like the idea of a kernel-required: field that checks /proc/version.

--
     Buddha Buck                   phaedrus@future.dreamscape.com
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were