Re: svgalib ...

(See bug #<whatever it is> for more discussion on this topic.  I
wouldn't say anything discussed here is a bug that hasn't already been
reported but it does deserve a reasonably wide airing.)

Peter Tobias writes:

>I looked a little bit closer on the problem with the shared svgalib
>libraries. It works for me when the following files are present:
>
>/usr/lib/libvga.so -> libvga.so.1.2.8
>/usr/lib/libvga.so.1 -> libvga.so.1.2.8
>/usr/lib/libvga.so.1.2.8
>
>/usr/lib/libvgagl.so -> libvgagl.so.1.2.8
>/usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1 -> libvgagl.so.1.2.8
>/usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1.2.8
>
>Note: I created the *.so links by hand.

I shall arrange for this to happen automatically.

>Another strange thing happened to the config file (after installing
>the package a second time):
>
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb 21 02:46 libvga.config -> vga/libvga.config
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1789 Feb  3 03:36 libvga.config.dpkg-new
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb 21 02:46 libvga.et4000 -> vga/libvga.et4000
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4715 Feb  3 03:36 libvga.et4000.dpkg-new
>
>The library itself works without problems!

The config file issue is a funky one...

In the beginning, svgalib put its config files under /usr/lib.  This
is Not On according to the FSSTND so the Debian maintainer of the time
moved them to /etc for our use and put a symlink under /usr/lib.

Then the upstream maintainer decided to follow the FSSTND and moved
the config files to /etc/vga.  Imagine my irritation.  It may have
been a foolish decision to try and move things but moving config files
is something Debian may well need to be able to do anyway, and there's
no time like the present...

Therefore there's various stuff in the maintainer scripts to try and
move things around safely.  I checked with Ian that the broad idea of
what I wanted to do was sane, and it didn't do anything too stupid
when I tried it on mine.

Can you tell me what you find under /etc/vga, please?

Ian, if I haven't heard from you by the time I find some free time to
work on svgalib again (tonight is looking good - only two other things
that have to be done) I'll send you the scripts I'm using and ask for
comments, in particular on how to work around the mess that Peter has
observed.

>BTW: There is also a small bug in the aout version. The control file
>has a "DEPENDS: svgalib1, libc.so.4" entry. This should be "DEPENDS:
>svgalib1, libc4" (there is no libc.so.4 package).

The libc4 package has `PROVIDES: libc,libc.so.4'.  IIRC `DEPENDS:
libc.so.4' was what I proposed to do when I asked debian-devel about
this; if someone would care to make a definitive statement...?

ttfn/rjk