Re: Proposing the doc-filesystem (was: Documentation formats)

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Winfried Truemper:
> It can't be that much work to hack up the existing features of "userfs" to
> execute a program based on the file-extension.

Possibly not, but for this idea to fly, you need converters
from everything to everything, where everything is at least man,
html, txt, and info. Some of those converters do not exist, and
they are non-trivial to do, if we want the converted version to
be good. Converters from everything to HTML exist, and work
pretty well.

There also needs to be some caching, since conversions are slow.
(dwww does caching.)