Re: Marginally related thought on glibc's crypt problem

Galen Hazelwood writes:
> Which leads me to my random non-sequitor of the day:  When is Debian
> moving to PAM?
>
> The reason I ask is that the pam_unix_foo modules don't use crypt.
> They have their own replacement built on MD5, which _is_ exportable.
> I saw something similar in the glibc source tree when I was looking
> at it, under glibc-1.99/crypt.
>
> Which means that once we move to PAM, we don't have to compile crypt
> into libc anymore!  We can safely build a legal, exportable library,
> and compile the old crypt into alternate versions available at the
> european ftp site for export-restricted stuff.

Please talk to Ulrich Drepper <drepper@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de>
about this.  He is the current maintainer for glibc and is stronly
encouraging Linux users of glibc to configure it with crypt (along
with linuxthreads) to ensure interoperability across systems.

David