Re: kbd: supply all keymaps for m68k?

Frank Neumann writes ("kbd: supply all keymaps for m68k?"):
> I'd just like to have a few opinions on this: While preparing the kbd
> package for Debian/m68k, I thought about whether both the Intel and m68k
> .deb archive should contain ALL available keymaps. For you Intel guys this
> means about 6 new maps that have names like "amiga-us.map", "atari-de.map"
> etc. and should be no problem.
>
> However, I think of the beginning Linux user on an m68k system: When he
> is prompted for a keymap during the installation, he'll be swamped by
> 50 or so keymaps, only few of which actually make sense for him. On the
> other hand, he might find it useful to have all PC keymaps at hand, too,
> e.g. for learning purposes.

This seems unlikely to me; if they want this level of learning they
can find the source package.

> On a similar topic: Do you think the Intel base/base package should contain
> the device special files which are only used on m68k _at the moment_
> (like our m68k framebuffer device, or Atari ACSI driver)?
> This of course also applies in the inverse direction: Should the m68k
> base/base package provide special files for device drivers which (at least
> at this moment) do not exist for m68k - like some CD-ROM or sound card
> devices?
> Putting all available special files into /dev on both architectures is of
> course the safest way to be sure all users have all nodes they need, but
> people might get confused by e.g. "/dev/midi" on m68k.

It seems to me that it would just add confusion to have lots of unused
and unuseable devices.  Is it possible to set things up so that each
architecture sees some subset of what's available, from a single
source package ?

dpkg --print-architecture (from 1.1.1 or 1.1.2) can tell your
debian.rules which architecture you're building for ...

Ian.