Re: Policy regarding Motif apps?

I wrote:
> Having just released a package using (static) Motif libraries, I'm finding a
> desire to standardize a way to release a dynamically linked version as well.
>
> I think Carl has a good idea. I propose the names app-smotif.deb and
> app-dmotif.deb to make clear they use Motif, both providing and conflicting
> with the virtual package "app" as Carl suggested.

Another idea I had: don't change the package name, but merely distribute two
.deb files (app-smotif.deb and app-dmotif.deb) both containing the same
albeit variantly linked package, "app". This would simplify dpkg handling
somewhat by not forcing you to explicitly remove one to install the other. It
would also make it easier to identify the package for removal, since you
needn't know which variant was installed. If in doubt, `ldd' can always be
used to determine how a program was linked.

I think I would prefer this, unless it will confuse something else I'm not
considering.

Opinions?

--
Robert Leslie