Re: Could anyone explain me?

Ian Jackson writes:
>Richard Kettlewell writes ("Re: Could anyone explain me?"):
>>Michael Meskes writes:

>>>It appears to work again now that I manually installed the config
>>>files.  It seems for some reason both files were deleted but the
>>>install script acted as if it was there. Maybe it has something to do
>>>with an incorrect entry in /var/lib/dpkg/status.
>>
>>I don't know.  Ian, does that sound as if it makes sense?
>
>If you delete some config files (listed in conffiles) then dpkg will
>*not* just reinstall them when you reinstall/upgrade the package.
>
>This is necessary because for some programs the absence of a config
>file is a distinct situation, which the sysadmin may have created
>deliberately.

Aha!  Knowing this saves me from trawling through my code *again*...

I think dpkg --purge is what is required at this point, so that dpkg
knows that the config files are really gone.

I suspect that the svgalib1 package may leave some symlinks lurking
around in this situation, as they are created in the preinst and not
explicitly removed anywhere.  So maybe there'll be a 1.28-7 soon after
all.

However these symlinks shouldn't do any harm to anything.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org

Eat a live toad before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day.