Re: sulogin & boot process

You (Michael Meskes) wrote:
> I just found out that out boot script /etc/init.d/boot doesn't work too well
> with the shadow password suite. In case of an error message fsck
> /etc/init.d/boot tries to call sulogin but sulogin refuse to start because
> the parent is not init. Now I wonder what's the correct way to get it going
> again:

Use the sulogin included with sysvinit. It is shadow compatible.
(Well, it ought to be)

> 1) Take the check out of sulogin, or
> 2) exec sulogin in /etc/init.d/boot?
>
> As for 1) I don't think that idea is really good. I think it's a good idea
> that a login program is only usable from init. That way it also doesn't have
> to be setuid root.

Those are 2 seperate things. I think the check for running from init
is bogus. Also, does the shadow-sulogin correctly attach itself to the
tty (become a session leader, own the tty session etc) ?

> As for 2) there's no way to automatically reboot after
> exiting sulogin, or is there?

No.

> What shall we do?

Use the sysvinit sulogin ?

--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/