Re: netpbm vs. pbmplus

'Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:'

>  Chris>  Didn't you see my example of the Slackware sysadmin who would
>  Chris> rather ftp /usr/bin/netpbm.tar from a Debian box rather than
>  Chris> recompile from source?  Organized subdirectories make many things
>  Chris> easier, add flexibility, and make the system easier to explore.
>
>That example didn't cut it in the first place. So now as you keep recalling
>it, here's my counter example: ever done "dpkg -L package"? Why don't you feed
>that into tar (maybe filter directories out)?

Of course, in Unix one can find some trick to do just about anything.
But dpkg isn't a standard tool.  I want to be able to do things without
learning the internals of Debian package management.

I'm tiring of the thread (too much real work to get done).  Am I really
the only one who sees virtue in separate directories for large groups
of related programs to help keep our filesystem organized?

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com (finger me!)        |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)