Re: dpkg, ELF, upgrade order, broken systems

In message <[🔎] m0teO5U-0002cKC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>, Ian Jackson writes:
>Comments, anyone ?

As I understand it, I'm not sure if the Pre-Depends will solve what
_I_ see as the biggest potential stumbling block when upgrading ELF
libraries: that you can easily get your system in an unusable state
because of the necessity of moving, say, ncurses libs around in the
(pre|post)(inst|rm).

I can almost see how it could help ameliorate the situation, but at
the cost of mucking with an awful lot of packages, where the "best"
solution would only modify those packages which are prone to putting
the system in this state.

Mike.
--
"I thought I'd something more to say."