patch and diffs

I am having trouble coming to terms with patch and the diff files
provided with source packages.

Up to this point, every package that I have picked up to maintain, has
used diff -ruN (which makes sense) against directories packagexxx and
packagexxx.orig. From the diffs, it appears that packagexxx is the debian
source and packagexxx.orig is the upstream source.

I have two problems:

1.  The new package I just picked up (octave) uses diff -cNr.

2.  I have been unable to reconstruct upstream source from
    packagexxx.diff.gz and packagexxx.tar.gz debian source.

I have tried all combinations of 'debian source tree' in packagexxx or in
packagexxx.orig or in both, with patch <packagexxx.diff and the closest I
got to what I wished for, produced a set of files in ./ that could be
manually coppied into packagexxx.orig, at which point, deleting all files
of 0 length produced the upstream source. (not at all what is expected)

In private communication I was told that the debian source tree needed to
exist in both packagexxx and packagexxx.orig paths. For the new octave
package I did this and, after much research (I sure hate the index tree
in info pages!@#$%$#@) I tried patch -E <packagexxx.diff. Nothing changed
in the .orig path. Whether I answered yes to the 'reverse patch' question
or not, the result was:

New files in packagexxx path like; debian.rules.orig (which are the right
size). The debian.rules file in this path is twice as long as it should
be (it has itself appended to itself...)

This is all quite confusing (I'm sure it must be for the reader. I
certainly feel confused myself!)

My concern is that I might not be producing diff files that are of any
use to anyone else.
I put the debian source in packagexxx and the upstream source in
packagexxx.orig and run diff -ruN to make the .diff file.

1. How is upstream source rebuilt, given only the .diff and debian source?

B. What problems arise when diffs are created with options other than -ruN?

TIA,

Dwarf