Re: Packaging Harvest cached

Good morning Ian!

}Martin Schulze writes ("Packaging Harvest cached"):
}>  1. Where should the cache files go?
}>     I have chosen /var/spool/proxy on my system, but you might want
}>     them somewhere else.
}
}Why not /var/spool/harvest ?

I was asking what you, the Debian Community, wants to have there. I'm
not going to change the location of this package here at Infodrom. I
just want to know where I shall put the stuff for Debian.

Ok, so cached files go in /var/spool/harvest.

}>  2. Where should logfiles go?
}>     I have choosen /var/log/cached/*. These are two single files so
}>     they might also fit in /var/log as well. What do you want?
}
}Why not /var/log/harvest (or just in /var/log) ?

What do you want?

These are three files:

bash$ pwd
/var/log
bash$ ls -l cached
total 1
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jan 22 00:01 OLD
-rw-r--r--   1 nobody   nogroup         0 Jan 22 00:01 access_log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 nobody   nogroup         0 Jan 22 00:01 cache.log
-rw-r--r--   1 nobody   nogroup         0 Jan 22 00:01 hierarchy_log

Where do you want them? I'm sorry, I can't have a look at a real
debian system to get a feeling how others manage it.

}>  3. Rotating logfiles.
}>     Harvest cached can rotate logfiles itself, but it does not compress
}>     them. I have disabled this feature to rotate them manually (via
}>     savelogs), cached can reopen the files, so that's no
}>     problem. Should I do the same for Debian?
}
}Yes, I think so, unless you have a good reason not to.

OK. I'm disabling harvest' own rotating mechanism.

}>  4. Where should the binaries/libraries go?
}>     I have choosen /usr/local/lib/harvest which might not be a good
}>     idea. Anyway what do you want there?
}
}Obviously when you package it for debian you should put it in /usr,
}not /usr/local.

/usr/lib/harvest is ok for you all?

}>  5. The files are owned by nobody.nogroup, do we have them and which
}>     values do they have.
}
}What is owned by nobody.nogroup ?  We have them, but you shouldn't
}make binaries (for example) owned by them, unless there are special
}circumstances.  See the guidelines.

Oh, I'm sorry for not beeing precise enough. I meant logfiles and
cached files. Executables are owned by root.root.

bash$ cd /usr/local/lib/harvest
bash$ ls -l bin
total 335
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         4406 Jan 20 16:26 RunAccel
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5378 Jan 20 16:26 RunCache
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       245760 Jan 20 16:26 cached
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         8192 Jan 20 16:26 client
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         8192 Jan 20 16:26 dnsserver
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        44641 Jan 20 16:26 ftpget
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        20539 Jan 20 16:26 send-announce

}>  7. Harvest cached is a little bit freaky. Using the original code you
}>     cannot run it in an environment that isn't connected to the big
}>     internet. It does some tests with the nameserver.
}>
}>     How should I mention this? It depends on any nameserver, it is not
}>     useful on a single site.
}
}Mention it in the postinst.

How?

}>     The above mentioned tests will probably fail on sites that are
}>     connected to the internet only temporarily and cause the cached to
}>     quit.
}>
}>     Now, what should I do? Shall I disable the tests? Shall I change
}>     the hostnames? (I did that for me, we have two nameservers in our
}>     net, but no internet connection). If so, which hostnames should I
}>     use instead?
}
}If you can make it work for other people too that would be good :-).

I fear that I have to disable it completely. :((

}>  8. Shall I enable the proxy for everyone? (allow all) Or should I deny
}>     acces to it by default and let only hosts on the local net use it?
}>     If so, how shall I determine the local network?
}
}The default should probably be read access by anyone with the same
}domain component in their hostname - ISTR that's how I shipped
}Debian's old broken INN package.

OK, hostname -d should work. Then cached also depends on hostname,
right?

}> 10. On which port should the cached listen?
}>     The default is 3128. I choose 81 for myself. (88 is reserved for
}>     kerberos) 8000, 8080 and 8086 are also used by several sites.
}
}Is there some reason not to use the default ?  I note that it's not a
}low port.

The reason for not using the default port ist, that this port is very
unknown. It is *let me fetch the code again* 3128. It's a nice number,
but nobody knows it. :(

If you want to have this port you can have it. It doesn't matter for
me. Comments?

}> 11. On removal, shall the cache be emptied and all logfiles thrown
}>     away?
}
}Only on purge, I'd say.

Okay, that's what I meant. :)

}> 12. The original version is 1.4.pl0, does this make problems with dpkg
}>     versions? I haven't found something on this topic in the
}>     Guidelines. If I don't get an answer I will assume that there are
}>     no problems.
}
}I'm afraid there's no documentation on it that I can find.  1.4.pl10
}is fine, provided it increments in an `obvious' way :-).

I think it's okay, because we also have elm 2.4pl23, so there are
letters in it, too.

}> BTW: There are a bunch of documents concerning Harvest cached, I seem
}> to remember that they only exist free as postscript files. Shall I
}> fetch and install them, too?
}
}Yes, perhaps as a separate package.

Okay, is cached-docs okay?

I just recall that I have forgotten one thing. You can start cached in
two ways.

  1. Start the script RunCache, which controls it and restarts the
     server.

     You always have at least one "useless" shell in the process
     table.

  2. If everything is configured correct (which will be the case when
     package it for Debian, too) it's enough to just call cached. It
     will autobackground itself and work without any problems.

I, for myself, use #2. What do you want to have for Debian? BTW:
shutting down cached when using #1 is a little bit difficult. :)

Regards,

	Joey

 /                            Erfahrung ist eine n|tzliche Sache /
/ Leider macht man sie immer erst kurz nachdem man sie brauchte /