sed oddity

Hi David,

first excuse me for the broken message that got out unintentionally.

While building the gcc-2.7.2-3 package, the configure script failed
sometimes.  I tracked that down to sed dumping core when called in the
pipe

	basic_machine=`echo $1 | sed 's/-[^-]*$//'`

$1 is i486-unknown-linux at that point.

After it had failed once, I could reproduce the error anytime I
manually invoked the pipe inside the backquotes, so I decided to
rebuild sed from the sources (maybe it suffered from a buggy gcc).

The freshly built sed (invoked with ./sed) did the right thing.
Don't know why I tried /bin/sed again, to my surprise it was working
too!!!

On my development machine I'm running an ELF-compiled kernel 1.3.50,
the following might be of interest too:

$ ls -l /bin/sed sed-2.05/sed
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        53993 Dec  1 21:10 /bin/sed
-rwxrwxrwx   1 bsb      debian      53857 Jan 17 01:57 sed-2.05/sed

$ ldd /bin/sed sed-2.05/sed
/bin/sed:
	libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18
sed-2.05/sed:
	libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

$ dpkg --list sed gcc binutils libc5 ldso
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name         Version   Rev  Description
+++-============-=========-====-===============================================
ii  sed               2.05 5    The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  gcc              2.7.2 2    The GNU C compiler (ELF version).
ii  binutils           2.6 2    The GNU assembler and binary utilities (ELF ver
ii  libc5           5.2.18 1    The Linux C library version 5 (run-time librari
ii  ldso            1.7.14 1    The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilities

I have no clue which package to attribute the bug to, but I saved a
core dump (approx. 240k gzipped)

Any ideas?

Thanks
  Siggy