Re: Postgres file locations

From: Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com>

> On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, David H. Silber wrote:
>
> > I don't think that the package should create a user, except possibly
> > for one named ``postgres''.
>
> I'm not familiar with postgres, but I think I'd want an option not to
> create a special postgres user if that's possible.

Right.  This is what I would like as the configuration dialog.

    Postgres requires a user to act as the Database Administrator.
    The DBA owns all of the files related to the operation of postgres.
    The postgres database server will run with the DBA's uid and gid.
    It is suggested that a new user be created, however if you wish to
    have one of the existing users act as the DBA you may enter their
    name below.

    Enter the name of the user that will be the
    Postgres Database Administrator, or press [enter]
    to create a new user with the name 'postgres'

    dba = _

Three cases

  1) if the name entered is a valid user, then use that.

  2) if the name entered is not a valid user create that user

  3) If [enter] then create postgres.

Does that seem right?

--
Guy